Musings about dog life, canine couture, and dog-friendly events.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dog Trainer to the Rescue!

I'm so excited! I booked an appointment with an affordable and very nice dog trainer. She gave me so much hope about Roxie’s behavioral issues. Sadly, my pup doesn’t know how to properly greet other dogs without scaring ‘em off and then there’s the random barking at strangers while on leash. Geez!!

My New Year’s resolution was to work on getting more training for myself and my husband so we can better understand why our pup does the things she does and how we can make her life happier. Yay!

So I met with the lady trainer and I’m very optimistic that she can help us. She came to our home and evaluated Roxie and worked with us for an hour or so. (I’m keeping the trainer’s name anonymous until I know how things are working out.)

A few interesting tidbits the trainer mentioned was to consider a Gentle Leader harness. It’s a harness that goes around the muzzle and gives the dog owner better control over the pulling dog. We’re also going to work on my dog’s rudeness and fearfulness too.

During our session, the trainer gave her some good smelly treats she doesn’t normally get to have, such as cheese, chicken, deli meat or Fancy Feast cat food. Yes, I thought the cat food suggestion was strange too, but it must be formulated for dogs or something. I’m willing to give almost anything a try!

Well, I gotta run... I am playing fetch with Roxie indoors for exercise – I bet my neighbors downstairs love that!!

I’ll keep ya posted on the training.

Woof Woof!

No comments:

Me and Ro

Me and Ro
Roxie and I attend the 2007 Canine Cocktail Pawty hosted by Jenna Gates

Adopt a Pet

Animal Breed Zip Code