Musings about dog life, canine couture, and dog-friendly events.

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Holiday Blessing


My friend Savannah and I started a new holiday tradition with our dogs.

On Sunday, we attended the annual Holiday Blessing of the Animals at Central Presbyterian church. It’s a Manhattan holiday tradition of good cheer and caroling to celebrate mankind's best friends and their brethren.

Everyone was filled with Christmas spirit and the event was one I’ll never forget. But don’t take my word for it, read Savannah’s take here:

This lovely event takes place once a year on the Sunday before Christmas Eve, at the Central Presbyterian Church on Park Avenue. I've been interested in this event for sometime, but as a not overly religious person I wasn't sure that I'd be comfortable or even welcome at such an event. I called and spoke with someone at the church, who went out of his way to assure me that people of ALL faiths, religions, or lack there of, are welcome to this blessing. He also promised me that there would be no pressuring towards any religion or denomination.

I was encouraged to come and see for myself. I decided to try it. I packed up my cat and Schnauzer and headed over to the church.

The one hour service preceding the actual blessing was great. There were a few excerpts from the Bible, but primarily quotes and anecdotes about man's best friend and other creatures.

There was a short ceremony honoring the accomplishments of the participants in Puppies Behind Bars, a canine education program where inmates raise and train dogs to be service dogs, bomb dogs, and the like. After a rendition of "Away in a Manger" the blessings began. Attendees had the options of Protestant, Catholic, or Jewish clergy to bless us and our animals. It was at this point that I realized that many of the people there were, like myself, not attached to any particular religion. So many people just wanted affirmation that our pets are as special as we know they are!

Religious, or not, this is an incredibly special event that I would recommend to anyone: dog, cat, hamster (yes there was one there!), and human alike!

To see photos or learn more about this holiday treat, please visit: www.centralonpark.org

No comments:

Me and Ro

Me and Ro
Roxie and I attend the 2007 Canine Cocktail Pawty hosted by Jenna Gates

Adopt a Pet

Animal Breed Zip Code